In June 2023, ICTOulu arranged a meeting at BusinessAsema with a range of stakeholders with the aim of starting the development of a new SoC/microelectronics initiative. This was held so that we could connect the actors within our cluster in Oulu and combine our collective knowledge to become a strong regional player in this field.
With the recent announcement of the EU Chips Act, the timing of this meeting was very topical. This new EU program presents lots of opportunities for businesses working in the microelectronics domain. One of our aims in bringing together local experts on this subject was to start discussions on how best we can amplify the voices and projects from within Oulu. Whilst we are a small city in the grand scheme of things, there is big potential for the region’s ecosystem to succeed both domestically and internationally through collaborations and partnerships.
With that in mind, it was important to discuss the current status of projects at the local, national and European levels, as well as aligning the aspirations of our region.
We were delighted to welcome a wide range of representatives, both in person and remotely. From a company perspective, both established global names and small/medium-sized enterprises were present. Additionally, we were joined by individuals from the world of academia and research as well as public sector organisations.
All the stakeholders in attendance were given a platform to give their own overviews on the topic. Discussions then developed on the following areas of interest:
- The research projects that are currently being undertaken in the field of microelectronics;
- Programs at the national level that can support businesses develop and grow in this domain;
- Collaborations and partnerships that have already been taking place between Oulu-based businesses and academic/research organisations.
- The personnel requirements of companies within the region in order to create new products and solutions;
- What projects have been worked on previously, what’s currently in progress, and future ambitions for all stakeholders.
By the time that our meeting had concluded, everyone both in the room and online felt satisfied with these early and fruitful discussions. We look forward to continuing our progress on this vital new project in the autumn.
For further information about this initiative, please contact the following:
- Jussi Leponiemi, Key Account director of ICT sector | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reeta Räisänen, Coordinator, ICT | email@example.com